Saturday 23 July 2011

To a Dear Friend

I have your phone number staring at me but I do have the courage to pick it up and dial it. I am scared to face you and am clueless as to what to say or do to console you. All my words might rekindle your pain and I might provide you no comfort. I am sorry for being so helpless.

I know how much you treasured your mum after the loss of your dad. I cannot accept the misfortunes GOD has put you through and have cursed Him and the bus driver ever since I heard the news. I will not dare tell you that I am sorry for your mother's condition but I would like to assure you that here is a friend who loves you, worries about you and is waiting to be useful. I will kick the wuss out me and pick up the phone as that is the least I can do to let you know that I will always be there for you.

I have been realizing how vain and ignorant my life has been in comparison to yours. I was extremely happy to hear about your job when I talked to you last (two weeks back on your birthday). Things were looking brighter and promising on your horizons and I was proud of you having come this far despite all your struggles.

You are one of the bravest people I have ever met and now life demands more bravery from your part. I know how unfair that is but all I can say now is take care of mum and please do not hesitate to ask me for anything.

Love
Maya 

I wrote this letter but chickened out just before I could press the send button. I am such an unreliable friend. I am terribly uncomfortable in such situations and always wait for time to play its course and situations to settle down before I contact people again. I can only face people in happier times. I feel so horrible. 

2 comments:

  1. No maya you are not a horrible friend. Trust me.
    I didn't call her up either. What can we tell her? Offer her platitudes? Ask her to tell what happened? Believe me, when I say she's tired of it. Everyone is visiting yet very few people actually will stick around. It's like a formality and that really irritated me. I told her to call me if she ever needed to talk even if it is just to hear a friendly voice. As to helping her, we did offer.... but she's reluctant to accept.
    I did visit her there at the hospital yesterday. She seems to be coping and is brave. Her mother is worried and she was crying. I think she's scared that she'll be a burden.

    Anyway I'm sending positive thoughts her way it's the least I can do.

    Hugs,
    Alujna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing a reply to your mail now.

    Hugs
    Maya

    ReplyDelete